Plastic Recycling: Accelerating the Circular Economy – The American Chemistry Council reported in 2018, 36 million tons of plastics were produced in the US. The negative impacts of single-use plastics in our oceans, landfills, atmosphere, and in our food chain are well known. To address single-use plastics and grow the circularity of plastics, plastic recycling is gaining momentum.
The World Economic Forum defines the Circular Economy as – “a system that is regenerative by design. It replaces the end-of-life concept with restoration, shifts towards the use of renewable energy, eliminates use of toxic chemicals which impair reuse and return to the biosphere, and aims for the elimination of waste through design of materials, products, systems, and business models.”
Plastic recycling is generally done in two forms – Chemical recycling and mechanical recycling. Chemical recycling is a process where a polymer is chemically reduced to its original monomer so that it can re-polymerized. This can be done through a number of chemical pathways. Avid helps our clients bring these new processes to market quickly to be operationally ready on day one!
There are many challenges when trying to accelerate circular economy adoption. These include formulation optimization, production optimization, increased production flexibility, and bringing new recycling processes to market quickly and profitably.
Solutions for Plastic Recycling Plants
- Front-End Loading (FEL) services to set scope, schedules, and project execution requirements based on your needs.
- Smart manufacturing solutions to optimize and de-bottleneck recycling operations.
- Use of scalable platforms and industry experience to quickly take ideas and start-ups to production.
- IIoT and Manufacturing Operations Management systems to measure, analyze, and improve raw material usage and waste generation.
- Modernizations and full automation, controls, information solutions, networking, and system integration services.
If you’re struggling with how to accelerate your transition to a circular production model, we can help!
Why work with Avid?
- We are focused on operations, optimization, and predicting asset issues that adversely affect sustainability efforts.
- We understand purposeful innovation is key to solving circular economy challenges at scale.
- We are built on agility.
- We’re a low-impedance partner, easy to do business with.
We integrate digitally enabled technologies to monitor and optimize control performance of critical processes.
We employ state of the art technologies that lower installed and life cycle costs for digitization and modernization projects.